Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Mount Rainier Residents, The Front Porch Minitries Willl Continue!

I woke up this morning feeling reprimanded because of thoughts from yesterday. My reprimand came in a few words from one of the people that frequent The Front Porch Ministries and an inbox from another one.

The first one said how thankful she was that we (Joan, Max, and I) had changed our minds about NOT doing food yesterday. It was critical to her to know that food was available for pick up because she needed it. The second one inboxed me and said, I may not be one of those in the food insecurity areas, but I need food and would love to get food from The Front Porch Ministries to help supplement what I am able to provide.

 I wrestled with those two things all night long. The Front Porch Ministries is not an easy task. No, I am not complaining, but simply saying that it is a lot of work even when I have helping picking up the food supplies. On the days that I don't, I pick them up myself, bring them home, unload them, separate them, box them, and make the food available. Then after it is all over, the boxes have to get broken down and put out for recycling or returned to the donor. NO EASY FEAT.

Definitely not complaining. The Front Porch Ministries has provided food to Mount Rainier residents since March 2020, even though I have threatened to stop the program more than a few times. LOL. I get tired and sometimes frustrated that a few bad apples do not honor The Front Porch rules -- get some, leave some for others; cover the boxes back up like you found them to keep the animals out; first-come-first-serve, and no, you cannot take some for every family member household in your family. Simple rules and allows everyone to get a little help. Believe me, I would love to do more and give everybody as much as they can take away. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and we must be mindful of the entire community.

I get lots of volunteer offers, and some actually come and work with us, but I only have two that come every time there is food and stay until we are too tired to stay on The Front Porch. That's when the honor system kicks in, and WE NEED YOUR HELP to keep making this work. PLEASE CLOSE THE BOXES CORRECTLY to keep the animals out. (NOTE: Some of our residents cannot get by to pick up from The Front Porch until after 6:00 p.m. or later.) If The Front Porch is cleared before then, they will not be able to participate. If it is too early in the morning, others could not participate. I can ONLY distribute the food when I receive it, and there is no way around that obstacle.) 

My last comment is that it is IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO CALL and tell everyone when the food arrives. I also cannot inbox or text everyone when the food comes. I post, and sometimes if time permits, send emails IF I HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS. I am alright with you reposting my post or otherwise sharing with your Mount Rainier neighbors who may benefit from The Front Porch Ministries.

 My reprimand for me was once again, I wanted to not do the food distribution, did it anyway, and SOMEONE REALLY NEEDED IT. So, the decision is to continue doing the food distribution, and ASK for your HELP to continue to make THE FRONT PORCH MINISTRIES WORK! WE can do this.

 THANK YOU! The Front Porch Ministries ONLY works if you come and pick up the food, and I thank you for your participation!

No comments:

Post a Comment