Saturday, February 09, 2013

GOT UNRESOLVED TAX ISSUES


Taxes -- they frighten many of us especially, if we haven't filed, got a letter from the tax people, well here's a first for me, and I think it is worth sharing because HONEST help may be on the way.  If you decide to try this service, PLEASE let me know how it works for you.

80 Calvert Street • P.O. Box 466 • Annapolis, Maryland 21404-0466 • 410-260-7305 • 1-800-552-3941
Fax: 410-260-7139 • Maryland Relay 711 • jshapiro@comp.state.md.us

Peter Franchot
Comptroller
Joseph Shapiro

Assistant Comptroller
January 30, 2013

Dear Town Official:

Hello and Happy New Year. My name is Joseph Shapiro and I work for Maryland Comptroller Peter Franchot. I wanted to reach out to you because I have moved into a new position as Assistant Comptroller and one of my charges is to make sure the Comptroller’s Office is assisting you in every way possible. My new duties focus on direct taxpayer assistance and community relations.

First of all, I want to make sure you are aware of our taxpayers’ ombudsman program. Building upon his commitment to stellar customer service, Comptroller Franchot created a new unit within the agency dedicated to providing taxpayers with a high-level contact for tax issues that haven't
been resolved adequately. My staff and I are dedicated to helping taxpayers navigate government channels and come to a swift resolution of their problems. So if you have any constituents who are experiencing frustration or problems with their tax filings, refunds or any business license issuing
that go through the Comptroller’s Office, please contact me so we can be of immediate assistance.

In addition to the individual taxpayer service we’d like to provide you, I am also very interested in seeing how we can partner to create opportunities for your constituents to benefit from the expertise and information we have in the Comptroller’s Office. Whether that means setting up taxpayer forums, town hall meetings or press events to help publicize services and initiatives,
Comptroller Franchot is always looking for ways to provide better service to Marylanders.

Topics such as tax filing tips, finding a reputable tax preparer, Maryland’s college savings plans and senior estate planning are just some of the areas our experts can cover. In addition, forums for small business owners could be very useful to veteran and prospective entrepreneurs in your area.  I would be happy to set up a time to meet and discuss any possibilities you think would be helpful.  Basically, I am here to be a direct point person for you, your colleagues and your constituents for any help, guidance or action you’d like from the Comptroller’s Office. Please contact me at 410-260-7305 or jshapiro@comp.state.md.us any time.

I look forward to working with you at some point in the future and hope to continue the high standard of service we pride ourselves in at the Comptroller’s Office.

Sincerely,



Joseph Shapiro

No comments:

Post a Comment