Monday, March 23, 2015

Remembering Rosetta Parker


I am only the Mayor of a very small municipality.  I still believe in honesty, fairness, justice, peace, democracy, and YES RESPECT.  I was taught that when some ones gives freely of their service, you accept, honor, and appreciate the gift.  You always take the time to recognize them for their contributions.

One of my former State Delegates died from Alzheimer's no less (the dreaded disease that also claimed the life of my Mother), and there was no mention of her death from any of my political friends and/or associates nor hers from what I have been able to locate.  There were no recollections of her services to our community.  There were no tributes.  No reflections.  There was just no mentioning of one of our fallen leaders -- Rosetta Parker.

I guess that is okay, but it speaks volumes of those who used to smile and laugh in her face while she was here.

It speaks volumes for those who pushed her out front and stated publicly that they were with her on her journey, but forgot about her when she became ill.

It speaks volumes about our respect for others. 

Years ago, I determined for myself that I was living in a throw-away society; that the throw-away society made its full appearance with pampers and the throw away diapers.  Yes, back then, we decided that nothing was worth keeping, not even people.

Everything was made to be used, used up, and thrown away when it no longer served our purpose.  Obviously, former Delegate Rosetta Parker had served her purpose long before she became deceased October 2014.

Rosetta and I were not buddy buddies, but we were friends in some ways.  She was at Mount Rainier Elementary School when my four children attended there.  She and I were leaders of Neighborhood United Projected (NUP).   We went up against a lot of people in our community to make our neighborhoods better.  We did not always see eye-to-eye on how to make that happen, but we always saw eye-to-eye on the need for it to happen so much so that when I ran for State Senator in the 47th when the seat first came open, I asked her to run with me as one of the delegates.  At first she said yes, then a few weeks later called me back and said that she had gotten a better offer, and went on to become one of the first state delegates in our district.

Rosetta Parker deserved to be more than just a footnote on the internet after her passing.  She earned the right to be truly remembered as a leader in the 47th Legislative District.  With this posting, I honor her work, her love of Chillum Ray, and her willingness to go to bat for it when no one else thought it was possible.

Rosetta Parker served as State Delegate of the 47th under the Late Senator Gwendolyn Britt, and with former now State Senator Victor Ramirez, and former State Delegate Doyle Niemann.

Rest well Rosetta, you have earned the rest.  I mourn your passing as I celebrate your life, and your life's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment