Sunday, December 06, 2015

REQUEST FOR CHRISTMAS BASKETS FOR OUR FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS, RESIDENTS AND CONSTITUENTS

INFORMATION ABOUT DONATIONS FOR THE CHRISTMAS BASKETS

GOOD MORNING! Yes, I am shouting it this morning. What a day to be alive and amongst the living. I am still asking for YOUR HELP in putting together 115 CHRISTMAS BASKET for families in our local area. During the Thanksgiving holiday season, I got to see and meet a very few of the families that received our baskets, and I can tell you they brought tears to my eyes.

You may not know how powerful it is to see an older man cry, but I have had that experience as I ran around like a chicken wit his head cut off.
You may not have ever seen the depth of gratitude a woman offers when she receives a basket of food that meant she could go in HER KITCHEN and prepare Thanksgiving dinner for her family.

Those are just two of my critical moments in November during the Thanksgiving season. These people were not the greedy with their hands out, but those who were truly in need with their hearts out! I was going to try to repeat my Thanksgiving drive for Christmas, but these two families made me more dedicated and determined to do it all over again. As Mayor Robinson from North Brentwood said a few days ago, "Mayor you worked your butt off, but you got it done." Yes, I did, and yes, I did.

With all of that being said, I NEED YOUR HELP! Those families are still in NEED, and now it is the Christmas holiday season. I am NOT COLLECTING TOYS, (I probably should be), but I am collecting food. Food can be dropped off at 4517 30th Street, Mount Rainier, MD 20712.

YES, gift cards are acceptable if you just don't know what to buy or don't need the hassle. If you are bringing and dropping off food here are my suggestions to make my life JUST A LITTLE EASIER, but if you can't do what I am asking just bring the food and let me worry about packaging it.

1. Please provide enough in your basket, if you are doing a basket, for a family of FOUR.

2. Please provide four cans of each can good item, if you are dropping off can goods. If you can only give one can -- PLEASE BRING IT AND DROP IT OFF! I have never seen ANYONE TURN DOWN AN ODD can of food. They eat it.

3. Please bring turkeys, hams, roasters and other perishables on MONDAY, December 21, 2015, if FROZEN. I have no space to keep unfrozen items This last round, perishable items came early and half frozen making me scramble for ice and dry ice to keep them safe and healthy for eating.

4. PLEASE bring items before TUESDAY MORNING, the day of delivery to the families. Parents were waiting at the schools for their baskets, and I was still home trying to put late arrivals together.

5. If you are bringing a complete basket -- Full Thanksgiving meal -- PLEASE label it so that I am sure of what is in the basket when I deliver it to the family. If it is not complete but have most of the items that is okay, I will add missing items (remember those single cans).

6. PLEASE feel free to drop by on Monday to help us package baskets and pack them for delivery. We had three or four shifts for Thanksgiving, and we were still working at midnight and early the next morning because of late deliveries. So, call, email or inbox me if you wish to join the packing team

7. FINALLY, if you would like to write a Thanksgiving note to the family, PLEASE DO SO! For the Thanksgiving baskets, I wrote a Thanksgiving card and included all of the names of those I knew contributing and those who helped to put the baskets together and deliver them. IT IS A COMMUNITY EFFORT, and I appreciate you for your donation to this drive.

SO FAR, I have received 1 turkey and 1 ham! They are in my freezer and waiting to go out. I have also received 2 bags of perishables and they are ready for a basket. I have a promise for 36 turkeys! Grand total of 38 perishable items for 38 baskets. WE have a long way to go to meet our goal, but hey, I am talking about residents of PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY who have a sense of COMMUNITY and will make sure that their neighbors, friends, seniors, and children will eat well during this holiday season! THANK YOU.

Remember I do not have to be home for you to drop off none perishables. JUST LEAVING THEM ON MY FRONT PORCH!

PEACE AND BLESSINGS ALWAYS!


(NOTE SEE NEXT POST if you need a list of what to put in your basket!)

No comments:

Post a Comment