Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Are WE getting what we've paid for at the Social Security Administration Office in Greenbelt?

I wrote this for my Facebook Page, but decided to distribute it differently.  

On yesterday, I went to the social security office to take care of some personal matters and kind of felt like I would not get it done, but I was in the area so I gave it try.

Thus the reason for my post this morning.  Once I found the office (the sign is so small you need a magnifying glass to see it as you turn into the parking lot), proceeded to park and enter the building.  (NOTE:  Remember it rained almost all day long yesterday, AND it was cold outside.)  I saw the people outside in the rain, but thought people were just outside to smoke.

NOT SO.  I approached the door and started to enter, and was told by those outside, you can't go in.  Of course, I asked why not.  They said, they told us to wait outside.  So, no, I was NOT going to wait outside in the rain with the door open, people inside and no legitimate reason other than "they told us to wait outside."  So, I entered the building.  

Immediately, an "armed" guard rushed into the hallway, and proceeded to tell me that I had to wait outside.  I said, sir, why do we have to wait outside in the rain and the cold?  His first answer was because they told me to make everyone wait outside.  And, miss why are you questioning me?  If it was sun shinning outside, I told you to wait outside.  From there he proceeded to lecture me on how people need to learn to obey orders and just do as they are told.  He was doing his job, and I needed to go back outside because he said so.  

I immediately asked to speak to a supervisor or whomever was in charge for there was no reason to ask people to stand outside in the rain and cold.  He refused.  A few others arrived and were told to stand outside in the cold.  I remained inside in the hallway for another five minutes and then join the line outside to see just how long people would be made to wait outside in the rain and cold.

The armed guard left and went inside, and within minutes came back and invited us to come inside, but stay in line.  (NOTE:  there was room inside, but no chairs to sit.  There was a foyer that was large enough to accommodate six or seven people; all of those standing outside in the rain and cold.  There was also LOTS of standing room in the waiting room, but there were no seats.)

After making us stand in line for five minutes, we directed by the armed guard to get a number and get back in line.  By now, he is joined by two other armed guards that are glaring at us in the line.  One of the seated participant's cell phone went off and he answered it.  This led to the next part of my reason for posting this today, and will lead to my contacting my Congresswoman Donna F. Edwards, Congressman Steny Hoyer, Congressman Chris Van Hollen as well as U.S. Senator Barbara A. Mikulski, and Senator Ben Cardin.

As soon as the cell phone went off, the armed guard that was directing people to stand outside in the rain and cold, rushed over to the individual and in his loudest voice began to berated and belittle him about having his cell phone on, and threatened to take and keep it if it went off again.  This went on for a few seconds, and then he realized that I had walked up just a little closer, and his tone changed, and he tried to recover from his attack.  The owner of the phone that went off was an older gentleman that I believe was Asian.

I stay in line and fumed.  I actually got totally pissed off, and by the time I was given a seat, I was at I can't let this go by.  They would not allow me to speak with a supervisor about standing out there in the rain and cold, and NO ONE came out when this armed guard verbally assaulted the person about the phone.

My mouth, without any hesitation, flew into gear.  I spoke to the people, not to the guard.  I said that the incident and the way it was handled was demeaning, unnecessary, and very poorly handled.  I asked them to take action to stop this kind of behavior in a public GOVERNMENT facility that their tax dollars were paying for, and the treatment by staff that was also being paid by THEIR TAX DOLLARS.  I advocated that they all start by calling, writing, and emailing their congressional representatives and reporting this incident.

People chimed in in agreement, but remained civil and in compliance.  The armed guard came back over to explain that he had only been doing what he was instructed to do, and that he had handled the situation in a "professional and courteous manner."  The lady seated next to me had had enough, and called him a liar, and that he had not been professional or courteous.  An argument was about to pursue because the armed guard started to get angry, and I asked the lady to not participate in his madness, but to make the call, send the email or write our congressional representative.  She agreed, and everyone remained quiet.

However, one of the seated participants had started video taping the incident.  Immediately the armed guard started in on him.  The first words out of his mouth were "You are not allowed to use your phone in here."  He responded with "Sir, I am not talking on the phone, I am recording this incident because no one will believe what I just witnessed in this facility."  Of course, he was told that if he did not stop recording, he would be asked to leave because he needed the service for which he had already waited more than an hour to receive.

At 1:00pm, I had to leave (I arrived at 11:45pm), but before leaving, my mouth once again went on autopilot about the incident that occurred, and that people were forced to stand outside in the rain and cold.  I provided the names of their congressional representatives, and took my leave.

As I walked out the door, in my heart of hearts, I knew that they would not do anything about the incident or having to stand outside in the rain and cold.  I turned all the way around and took a long look at the people sitting there, and my heart ached.  They were mostly Black, a number of Hispanics, a small number of Asians, and a few Whites.

They looked beaten down.  They looked like people in a third world country that had been stripped of their rights, and were afraid to speak up or speak out for fear of repercussions.  They desperately needed what they had come to the Social Security Administration to request, and believe me it was NOT a social security card.  These people were mostly old, disabled, retired or otherwise in need of service.

As I looked back into the room, they remained downtrodden and hopeful that they would receive those much needed services, and that I had not made it even harder for them to receive them.  IN AMERICA, this should not be.  At a GOVERNMENT facility set up to SERVE the people from WHOM TAXES AND FICA WERE TAKEN OUT OF EVERY SINGLE PAYCHECK SINCE THEIR FIRST DAY OF WORK TO COVER SUCH A TIME IN THEIR LIVES, this should not happen!

There was NO RESPECT!  There was NO CONSIDERATION!  There was NO HUMANENESS in their actions.  The conduct of the armed guard, and the treatment of those there to receive services (very orderly and quiet, even the small children) were not called for, and should not go uncorrected!  I am certain that the behavior of the armed guard is an everyday occurrence in that facility, and management has its head stuck in the sand.  Collectively, they feel safe because they KNOW no one will report them, and if they did NO ONE WOULD BELIEVE THEM!

Well, I will report them.  Will I be believed?  Maybe not, but I will send this to the press.  I will start a letter writing campaign.  I will test it, post it, tweet it, google+ it.  I will do whatever is necessary to change the behavior at this Social Security Administration Office that is set up to serve me.  

Our representatives cannot be held accountable for this kind of crap, if we don’t tell them that it is going on.  Yes, you may say that they are not going to do anything or that they already know what is going on, but do not care.  My question would be how do you know this?  Have you reported these kinds of incidents?

Most people just complain, get the service, and get out dodge hoping that they will never ever have to go back.  In their case once is enough until something else happens and they find themselves in the same old boat.

My regrets for yesterday was that I did not get the guard's name -- my eyes re not what they use to be, and even if he had on a badge, I would not have been able to make out the words because they would not have been big enough.  I also could not find the name of the supervisor or manager on anything, and I have not names of the participants seated in the waiting area.  BUT that will not stop me from bringing this to the attention of those responsible for the Social Security Administration Office at 7401 (C), Lanham, Maryland 20706 (It’s really in Greenbelt off of 193)!


On yesterday, I went to the social security office to take care of some personal matters and kind of felt like I would not get it done, but I was in the area so I gave it try.

Thus the reason for my post this morning.  Once I found the office (the sign is so small you need a magnifying glass to see it as you turn into the parking lot), proceeded to park and enter the building.  (NOTE:  Remember it rained almost all day long yesterday, AND it was cold outside.)  I saw the people outside in the rain, but thought people were just outside to smoke.

NOT SO.  I approached the door and started to enter, and was told by those outside, you can't go in.  Of course, I asked why not.  They said, they told us to wait outside.  So, no, I was NOT going to wait outside in the rain with the door open, people inside and no legitimate reason other than "they told us to wait outside."  So, I entered the building. 

Immediately, an "armed" guard rushed into the hallway, and proceeded to tell me that I had to wait outside.  I said, sir, why do we have to wait outside in the rain and the cold?  His first answer was because they told me to make everyone wait outside.  And, miss why are you questioning me?  If it was sun shinning outside, I told you to wait outside.  From there he proceeded to lecture me on how people need to learn to obey orders and just do as they are told.  He was doing his job, and I needed to go back outside because he said so. 

I immediately asked to speak to a supervisor or whomever was in charge for there was no reason to ask people to stand outside in the rain and cold.  He refused.  A few others arrived and were told to stand outside in the cold.  I remained inside in the hallway for another five minutes and then join the line outside to see just how long people would be made to wait outside in the rain and cold.

The armed guard left and went inside, and within minutes came back and invited us to come inside, but stay in line.  (NOTE:  there was room inside, but no chairs to sit.  There was a foyer that was large enough to accommodate six or seven people; all of those standing outside in the rain and cold.  There was also LOTS of standing room in the waiting room, but there were no seats.)

After making us stand in line for five minutes, we directed by the armed guard to get a number and get back in line.  By now, he is joined by two other armed guards that are glaring at us in the line.  One of the seated participant's cell phone went off and he answered it.  This led to the next part of my reason for posting this today, and will lead to my contacting my Congresswoman Donna F. Edwards, Congressman Steny Hoyer, Congressman Chris Van Hollen as well as U.S. Senator Barbara A. Mikulski, and Senator Ben Cardin.

As soon as the cell phone went off, the armed guard that was directing people to stand outside in the rain and cold, rushed over to the individual and in his loudest voice began to berated and belittle him about having his cell phone on, and threatened to take and keep it if it went off again.  This went on for a few seconds, and then he realized that I had walked up just a little closer, and his tone changed, and he tried to recover from his attack.  The owner of the phone that went off was an older gentleman that I believe was Asian.

I stay in line and fumed.  I actually got totally pissed off, and by the time I was given a seat, I was at I can't let this go by.  They would not allow me to speak with a supervisor about standing out there in the rain and cold, and NO ONE came out when this armed guard verbally assaulted the person about the phone.

My mouth, without any hesitation, flew into gear.  I spoke to the people, not to the guard.  I said that the incident and the way it was handled was demeaning, unnecessary, and very poorly handled.  I asked them to take action to stop this kind of behavior in a public GOVERNMENT facility that their tax dollars were paying for, and the treatment by staff that was also being paid by THEIR TAX DOLLARS.  I advocated that they all start by calling, writing, and emailing their congressional representatives and reporting this incident.

People chimed in in agreement, but remained civil and in compliance.  The armed guard came back over to explain that he had only been doing what he was instructed to do, and that he had handled the situation in a "professional and courteous manner."  The lady seated next to me had had enough, and called him a liar, and that he had not been professional or courteous.  An argument was about to pursue because the armed guard started to get angry, and I asked the lady to not participate in his madness, but to make the call, send the email or write our congressional representative.  She agreed, and everyone remained quiet.

However, one of the seated participants had started video taping the incident.  Immediately the armed guard started in on him.  The first words out of his mouth were "You are not allowed to use your phone in here."  He responded with "Sir, I am not talking on the phone, I am recording this incident because no one will believe what I just witnessed in this facility."  Of course, he was told that if he did not stop recording, he would be asked to leave because he needed the service for which he had already waited more than an hour to receive.

At 1:00pm, I had to leave (I arrived at 11L45p), but before leaving, my mouth once again went on autopilot about the incident that occurred, and that people were forced to stand outside in the rain and cold.  I provided the names of their congressional representatives, and took my leave.

As I walked out the door, in my heart of hearts, I knew that they would not do anything about the incident or having to stand outside in the rain and cold.  I turned all the way around and took a long look at the people sitting there, and my heart ached.  They were mostly Black, a number of Hispanics, a small number of Asians, and a few Whites.

They looked beaten down.  They looked like people in a third world country that had been stripped of their rights, and were afraid to speak up or speak out for fear of repercussions.  They desperately needed what they had come to the Social Security Administration to request, and believe me it was NOT a social security card.  These people were mostly old, disabled, retired or otherwise in need of service.

As I looked back into the room, they remained downtrodden and hopeful that they would receive those much needed services, and that I had not made it even harder for them to receive them.  IN AMERICA, this should not be.  At a GOVERNMENT facility set up to SERVE the people from WHOM TAXES AND FICA WERE TAKEN OUT OF EVERY SINGLE PAYCHECK SINCE THEIR FIRST DAY OF WORK TO COVER SUCH A TIME IN THEIR LIVES, this should not happen!

There was NO RESPECT!  There was NO CONSIDERATION!  There was NO HUMANENESS in their actions.  The conduct of the armed guard, and the treatment of those there to receive services (very orderly and quiet, even the small children) were not called for, and should not go uncorrected!  I am certain that the behavior of the armed guard is an everyday occurrence in that facility, and management has its head stuck in the sand.  Collectively, they feel safe because they KNOW no one will report them, and if they did NO ONE WOULD BELIEVE THEM!

Well, I will report them.  Will I be believed?  Maybe not, but I will send this to the press.  I will start a letter writing campaign.  I will test it, post it, tweet it, google+ it.  I will do whatever is necessary to change the behavior at this Social Security Administration Office that is set up to serve me. 

Our representatives cannot be held accountable for this kind of crap, if we don’t tell them that it is going on.  Yes, you may say that they are not going to do anything or that they already know what is going on, but do not care.  My question would be how do you know this?  Have you reported these kinds of incidents?

Most people just complain, get the service, and get out dodge hoping that they will never ever have to go back.  In their case once is enough until something else happens and they find themselves in the same old boat.

My regrets for yesterday was that I did not get the guard's name -- my eyes re not what they use to be, and even if he had on a badge, I would not have been able to make out the words because they would not have been big enough.  I also could not find the name of the supervisor or manager on anything, and I have not names of the participants seated in the waiting area.  BUT that will not stop me from bringing this to the attention of those responsible for the Social Security Administration Office at 7401 (C), Lanhan, Maryland 20706 (It’s really in Greenbelt off of 193)!

You may not need the Social Security Administration now, but one day you will, and you too, will want to be treated with dignity and respect, and receive the best customer service possible!

FOOTNOTE 1:  DO NOT get me wrong, I understand why there are "armed guards" on government properties.  They are to serve and protect the worker, participants (citizens), and facility.  I got that.  However, participants should also FEEL SAGE in their presence, and not THREATENED or INTIMIDATED!  I felt both. 

FOOTNOTE 2:  The Greenbelt Social Security Administration office is the closest one to me in Maryland.  The other Social Security Administration Office is located at 6110 Allentown Road, Suitland-Silver Hill, Maryland, 20746.  I guess one could argue that I could have gone there or I could go there in the future, but I contend that it should not matter which office I choose to use for service.  All should provide quality service to those who come to them for service.


Peace and blessings today and always.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mayor, and please do followup with our Federal representatives. Also, some of your posting above is duplicated, so you may want to edit.

    ReplyDelete